Miller Chemical & Fertilizer Corporation was founded in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A. on February 19, 1937. The corporation was privately owned with offices in Baltimore and two factories. One factory was for the manufacture of farm fertilizers and the other was for the formulation of certain pesticides. Over the next few years the company purchased several other fertilizer and agricultural chemical facilities. Through the 1940’s, 1950’s and early 1960’s the company was primarily a farm fertilizer manufacturer and a formulator of various agricultural chemicals. Miller also was a distributor for large multi-national companies, such as DuPont, Elanco, BASF, Ciba Geigy, Stauffer Chemical, Chevron Chemical, Dow, Shell and others. The company operated throughout the eastern part of the United States selling its products to farmers and chemical dealers over about a ten state area.
In the early 1960’s the company started to develop specialty products and broadened its scope of business for its high quality soluble, foliar fertilizers such as Nutri Leaf® 20-20-20. Several specialty pesticide products were sold in the Midwest and Florida during the 1960’s and 1970’s through distributors.
In September of 1968, the company moved its headquarters from Baltimore, Maryland to Hanover, Pennsylvania where it is currently located.
In 1968 Miller acquired the rights to the Pinolene range of products which are proprietary terpene polymers. This technology was broadened into several different products, an agricultural spreader sticker, for use with pesticides called Nu Film® P. A second product Nu Film® 17 was developed as a sticker extender product, which is used primarily with contact and residual based insecticides and fungicides. The third product in the range was Vapor Gard®, an anti-transpirant and anti-desiccant. It has a substantially longer life than Nu Film 17, and is used on a broad range of horticultural and agricultural crops to reduce water loss and cold wind desiccation. A fourth product from the Pinolene® technology was developed in the mid eighties to be utilized as an anti-pod shatter material for certain seed crops including but not limited to oil seed rape, alfalfa seed, grass seed, vegetable seed, lentils, peas, wild rice and specialty beans. This technology is sold in the USA and is branded with different partners in various countries. The Pinolene® products helped to develop Miller’s business across the entire United States.
Through the 1960’s the company had started to sell its foliar, water soluble fertilizers into the international market in the Mediterranean and in Latin America. The company’s major thrust into the international business came in about 1969 – 1970 when it took the terpene line of products internationally with the foliar fertilizers. International markets started to develop dramatically through the 1970’s and increased through the 1980’s and 1990’s. Today approximately eighty years after the founding of the company, Miller is one of the largest specialty agricultural chemical product companies in the world.
Miller has always been a strong advocate of farmers. Miller designed and produced the following bumper sticker in the early seventies which was recognized by radio icon Paul Harvey as one of the best he had ever come across.
The company now operates in over ninety countries with its products. Due to the unique nature of our specialty agriculture products, as well as the high quality of the fertilizer products the company has continued to grow in the countries where it has been established. These products are now used on a world wide basis on every possible crop that is grown.
In June, 2014 Miller Chemical and Fertilizer Corporation became Miller Chemical and Fertilizer, LLC. The company will continue to grow strategically for the future.